05 Sep Simple Cordon Bleu
SIMPLE CORDON BLEU
From our Kitchen to yours.
A simple, yet delicious favourite from our Head Chef.
- Flour -1/4 cup
- Panko breadcrumbs – 1/4 cup
- Oil spray
- 2 small chicken breasts, around 180-210g each
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder – 10g (optional)
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (can use blue cheese or swiss cheese too)
- 4 to 6 slices of ham, about 75g
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Baby spinach leaves 10g
DIJON CREAM SAUCE (MAKES 1 CUP)
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan).
- Spread panko breadcrumbs on a baking tray and spray with oil. Bake for 3 minutes or until light golden. Remove and scrape into bowl straight away to cool down.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast, sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder(optional).
- Fold the cheese in half and place 2 pieces inside ham slices and then in each breast pocket with some baby spinach leaves and a sprig of thyme. Close the pocket, seal with 2 toothpicks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread Dijon mustard onto the top and sides of the chicken (not underside).
- Mix the flour and the toasted bread crumbs, Sprinkle crumb-mix over the chicken, using your other hand to press the breadcrumbs onto the side of the chicken. Spray with oil.
- Heat Oil in a pan (Non-Stick) place the crumbed side face down in the pan first to sear both the sides, then place in a baking tray lined with baking paper, crumbed side on the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and just cooked through. Remove toothpicks, serve with the Dijon Cream Sauce.
DIJON CREAM SAUCE
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add half the milk and whisk until the flour mixture is blended in.
- Add remaining milk, mustard and cheese. Cook for 3 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened. It will thicken as it cools.
- Remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chicken.