06 Oct Classic Chicken Parmigiana
CLASSIC CHICKEN PARMIGIANA
From our Kitchen to yours.
An all time pub favourite.
FOR THE CHICKEN
1 large egg (700 g)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to season
2 large chicken breasts halved horizontally to make 4 fillets
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup olive oil for frying
FOR THE SAUCE
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
(400 g) tomato puree (Passata)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
150 g smoked ham slices
125 g mozzarella cheese shredded
1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil or parsley
For the Sauce:
Heat oil in a medium-sized pot. Fry onion until transparent (about 3 minutes), then add the garlic until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Add the tomato puree, salt and pepper to taste, Italian herbs and sugar (optional). Cover with lid to simmer for about 8 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Taste test and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
COOKING THE CHICKEN
- Preheat oven 220°C. Lightly grease an oven tray (or baking dish) with non-stick cooking oil spray; set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Add chicken into the egg, rotating to evenly coat each fillet in the mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes (or overnight night if time allows for a deeper flavour).
- When chicken is ready for cooking, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder together in a separate shallow bowl. Dip chicken into the breadcrumb mixture to evenly coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Fry chicken until golden and crispy, (about 4-5 minutes each side).
- Place chicken on prepared baking tray / dish and top each breast with about 1/4 cup of sauce. Top each chicken breast with a slice of ham, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with basil or parsley.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and melted, and the chicken is completely cooked through.